May 5, 2019

THANKSGIVING FOR DELIVERANCE

O LORD, You have brought up my soul from Sheol; 
You have kept me alive, 
that I would not go down to the pit. 
Psalm 30:3


BROUGHT UP AND PRESERVED

The word "Sheol… pit" refers to the shadowy underworld residence of the spirits of the dead, here a metaphor for near death. It is also referred to as "pit of destruction, pit of nothingness, or depths of the earth". 

The prophet Job suffered a near death experience. His flesh wastes away from sight, and his bones which were not seen stick out (Job 33:21). Then his soul draws near to the pit, and his life to those who bring death. (Job 33:22). God has redeemed his soul from going to the pit, and his life have seen the light.’ (Job 33:28)

The prophet Jonah also suffered a near death experience. In his prayer, he said, "I descended to the roots of the mountains. The earth with its bars was around me forever, but You have brought up my life from the pit, O LORD my God" (Jon 2:6).

God keeps us alive for the praise and glory of His Name. As the prophet Isaiah said, “It is You who has kept my soul from the pit of nothingness, for You have cast all my sins behind Your back. For Sheol cannot thank You, death cannot praise You; those who go down to the pit cannot hope for Your faithfulness" (Isa 38:17-18).

God will not abandon your soul to Sheol; nor will He allow His Holy One to undergo decay (Ps 16:10).


PRAYER

LORD, You brought me up out of the pit of destruction, out of the miry clay, and You set my feet upon a rock making my footsteps firm (Ps 40:2).

Your loving kindness toward me is great, and You have delivered my soul from the depths of Sheol (Ps 86:13). You who have shown me many troubles and distresses will revive me again, and will bring me up again from the depths of the earth (Ps 71:20). You delivered my soul from death, indeed my feet from stumbling, so that I may walk before God in the light of the living (Ps 56:13).

To You, O LORD, I call; my rock, do not be deaf to me, for if You are silent to me, I will become like those who go down to the pit (Ps 28:1). O Lord, my God, forever will I give you thanks (Ps 30:13). Amen